Friday, January 26, 2018

Poetry Friday: Not Enough, Too Much, Just Right, and Happy News At the End

I wrote this poem several years ago, but it came to mind as I was thinking about my OLW for 2018, ENOUGH.  During the course of this challenging week, I have had plenty of moments that would fit into the first two stanzas: Not Enough and Too Much.  There aren't that many moments I can identify that would belong in the third.  Can I consider myself Just Right if I showed up and did my best?  Can I ever let that be ENOUGH?  Working on it...

I shared this poem with my writing group this week, and someone said it felt "crowded."  I can see that, and I even agree with it, but this is one of those times when I feel as though what I wrote completely expressed what I meant to say.  It would probably benefit from some editing, but I like it the way it is.   Maybe I'll come back and work on it some more later, but for now, I'm going to call it Just Right.


Not Enough, Too Much, Just Right

Often I am Not Enough.
Not patient enough or pretty enough,
Seeking constant reassurance
From the mirror of other people's eyes:
Do you love me?  Huh?  Do you?
Not knowing what to say
Or which fork to use,
Wearing jeans to the ball,
Not hip or cool enough,
Missing the point, holding back
Until the moment is past.

More often I am Too Much.
Too many words
Escaping even though I clamp my lips shut,
Hips too big, feet too clumsy,
Clomping around stepping on toes.
I call and text and email all day long:
I love you I love you I love you!
Too much laughter and too many tears,
Too much messy overgrown emotion,
A jungle that overwhelms any explorer.

But sometimes, ah, sometimes
I am Just Right.
Giver of a moment of complete satisfaction,
Purveyor of breastmilk at just the right temperature
To soothe a fretful baby.
I say the right thing sometimes
And understand exactly:
That's just what I meant!  How did you know?
I love and am loved with perfect equilibrium.
I'm an earthly angel, having a good hair day,
I am Baby Bear's porridge:
Just Right.

Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com


By the way, a happy thing, extremely welcome in this aforementioned challenging week, happened yesterday.  I got an email letting me know that one of my poems is going to be in an anthology.  This is the first time for me, and it feels very good.

This week's roundup is here.

16 comments:

Carol T said...

I like the poem just as it is.
Congratulations on having one of your poems in an anthology!! Carol T.

Irene Latham said...

To Ruth who is Absolutely Perfectly Just Right: thank you for sharing your poem... I think we all feel this way sometimes when truly we are not broken, we simply ARE. I love that you've selected ENOUGH as your OLW... sounds like it is already impacting your life. CONGRATULATIONS on the inclusion in an anthology... what wonderful exciting news!! xo

jama said...

Love your poem, Ruth. Can identify with all of it. I like the poem just as it is, too. JUST RIGHT!

And Congrats on the poem acceptance!! Hooray!

Molly Hogan said...

Congratulations on being included in an anthology! Wow! That is celebration worthy. I could relate to so much of your poem and think it's just right as it is. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That second stanza. You have climbed inside one of my characters hearts. I *know* these words, because I have written them for her ... and more so, because I have felt them for myself...

Congratulations on your shining moment of poetry acceptance. And wishing you a week that is Just Right.

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

That is fantastic news, I'm so thrilled for you! While there is always value in getting feedback, sometimes you just have to follow your gut when it comes to writing, and when your heart says it's right, then it's right!

GatheringBooks said...

"I call and text and email all day long:
I love you I love you I love you!"
--- I do this to my 16 year old girl - and I never feel that it's too much- there is no such thing in loving. Love your poem!

Mary Lee said...

This is a poem that resonates. Those "Just Right" moments are so few and far between...sigh...

Tara said...

This is our journey, isn't it? Finding more moments of "just right". Thanks for gifting us with your poem today, Ruth.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, your poem resonates with me as a self-reflection that fits. Your ponderings lead to the last stanza that shows the faith you have in you. Compliments come your way.

Kay said...

Congratulations on your poem being included in the anthology! I can relate so much to your poem--especially the not enough and too much. I'm trying to find more of the just right, maybe by accepting that sometimes showing up for life is enough.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Your poems often feel "just right" to me, Ruth, and this one is no exception. Your images are original, your words resonate with my understanding. I long to be that "earthly angel, having a good hair day"! And CONGRATULATIONS on your anthology acceptance— I think we may be in the same one. :)

Linda Mitchell said...

Ruth, congratulations! That's wonderful news for your poem....another just right moment, I'd say. I love visiting your blog because you wrestle with issues. There are things that you think and wonder about that really resonate with me. So, I offer you another just right moment in that.
I too have grappled with the feeling of "oh, I'm too much--I should slow down, be quieter, stop expressing so much" Some days, it IS really hard to make friends with the me that I am. I enjoy this poem for hitting that spot in me that understands. I don't know if it's crowded or not. I hope this poem finds a place to be in the world beyond your blog.

Robyn Hood Black said...

YES! To your poem, just right and enough as it is! Thanks for sharing. I related to each stanza. And, CONGRATULATIONS on the anthology acceptance! (Like Michelle, I'm wondering if it's the same one I got good news from this week?) Here's to porridge!

jone said...

Congratulations on being accepted in an anthology. I love the idea of being just right or just enough.

Michelle Kogan said...

So many strong emotions in this poem, it sings beautifully, thanks for sharing it!

And many Congratulations on your poem that will be in the anthology!