Monday, December 31, 2018

What I Read in 2018

This morning I finished four books and I'm guessing that's it for the year. If I finish another one today, I'll add it to the list.

Book #104 was Savor: Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are, a daily devotional by Shauna Niequist. I first wrote about this book here.

Book #105 was Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives.  I first wrote about this book here.

Book #106 was A Well-Worn Path: Thirty-One Daily Reflections for the Worshipping Heart, by Dan Wilt. I first wrote about this book here.

Book #107 was Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner. This was the only devotional book this year that I was reading for the first time, and I loved it. There were so many days when its words were exactly what I needed to read.

So now I'm in the market for a new daily devotional. I have a couple that I'm going to try. Any recommendations?

Here are links to the posts about what I read this year.

Books 1 & 2
Books 3 - 7
Books 8 - 13
Books 14 - 18
Books 19 - 24
Books 25 - 32
Books 33 - 39
Books 40 - 45
Books 46 - 51
Books 52 - 60
Books 61 - 70
Books 71 - 79
Books 80 - 86
Books 87 - 90
Books 91 - 97
Books 98 - 103
And scroll up for Books 104 - 107.

It was a good reading year. One new experience for me was that my writing appeared in two of the books above; I talked about both in this post.
Scrolling back through my reviews reminds me that I read a nice mixture of page-turners and depth this year. I also did a lot of re-reading.
I took this photo of a Gwendolyn Brooks poem while visiting the Chicago Public Library with my daughter in the summer. Books really do "feed and cure and chortle and collide," and I am so very thankful for them. I'm thankful that I have piles of them at my house and in my classroom, that I can and do download them onto my Kindle, and that I have friends who send them to me or say, "You have to read this." I don't know what I would do without reading. I'm also thankful that I started keeping track of my reading here on this blog; I love reflecting on ideas and themes in the books I read, and going over what I read in the year has become a treasured year-end ritual.

What's on your list for 2019? What should I put on mine?

This post is linked to the end of the year book list roundup at Semicolon.


No comments: