Wednesday, April 10, 2019

NPM: Day 10

This poem by Margaret Hasse is open on my desktop. In "First Day of Kindergarten," Hasse writes about the love between a mother and a son, and the moment when he discovers that she keeps on existing even when he goes away. The last line: "I'm his first love and his greatest disappointment" resonated so much with me, as the mother of a much-loved son. (Do click through and read the whole poem here.)

I have written innumerable poems about my son, and here is one he allowed me to share a couple of years ago.

There are many kinds of love, and I'm thankful to have experienced so many of them!

Janet's sharing today's line of the Progressive Poem here.

2 comments:

Linda B said...

Those connections are the love that doesn't stop despite the revelations children realize as they grow. The first poem is bittersweet from the mom's POV, isn't it? And she knows more will come. Your poem is pure love, the baby love we moms don't forget, right? But I remember when sometime early on my daughter realized that she would someday leave home. She was so upset we finally promised her that she could stay as long as she wished. Growing up is hard! Thanks, Ruth. I'm celebrating my mother's birthday today, gone now 12 years, and I miss her every day.

Cheriee Weichel said...

Both of these poems cut straight to the heart of parenting. Now that I am a grandparent I have two generations to worry about. If you want to read it, here's a poem I wrote last year about my inevitable parenting failures. http://dickenslibrary.blogspot.com/2018/04/2830-poem-day-challenge.html