Friday, April 19, 2019

Poetry Friday: Daffodils and Such (NPM: Day 19)

This year for National Poetry Month, I've been sharing links I already had open on my desktop. I figured I had about two weeks' worth, and by the time those links ran out, I would have more. I'm still working on the original links after almost three weeks, and sure enough, I have a bunch of new ones.

I had some Wordsworth links open because I was writing a daffodil poem. Here's "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" and I also looked up "The Preface to the Lyrical Ballads." I had a lot of fun writing that poem, and I like it, but it's not really for sharing.

I shared "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" complete with daffodil pictures taken by me, in 2010, when I was in the US after the earthquake. This year I am far from daffodils, and when I asked my daughter to send me some daffodil pictures, she sent this photo instead:
She took that on Palm Sunday. Not a bit of green in sight, let alone palms or daffodils. But on Wednesday, when I brought up the subject again, she sent me this:
It's comforting in these times of climate weirdness to see things showing up more or less when they are supposed to: the sakura in Japan, for example, and the daffodils in North America.

My son told me on Monday that I should write a poem about Notre Dame. "Write about how nothing lasts forever," he said, and I replied that that's pretty much what poetry is about. Between those flames and the darkness of Good Friday, I feel this poem is more appropriate than Wordsworth for today:


Spring
Edna St. Vincent Millay

To what purpose, April, do you return again?
Beauty is not enough.
You can no longer quiet me with the redness
Of little leaves opening stickily.
I know what I know.
The sun is hot on my neck as I observe
The spikes of the crocus.
The smell of the earth is good.
It is apparent that there is no death.
But what does that signify?
Not only under ground are the brains of men
Eaten by maggots.
Life in itself
Is nothing,
An empty cup, a flight of uncarpeted stairs.
It is not enough that yearly, down this hill,
April
Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.


Eventually I probably will write about Notre Dame. I'm not quite ready yet. Meanwhile, I wait for Sunday and resurrection; I do believe in it, even on the days when it seems least likely.

Here's what I posted this week for National Poetry Month:

On Saturday I shared an Issa haiku from Mary Lee, and then responded to it myself.
On Sunday I linked to Michelle H. Barnes' interview with Naomi Shihab Nye.
On Monday it was Jim Daniels Day.
On Tuesday I was thinking about sleeping and islands and sleeping on islands.
On Wednesday I shared some Yusuf Komunyakaa.
On Thursday it was Poem in Your Pocket Day, and I wrote a haibun about what was in my pocket.

Today's line for the Progressive Poem is here.

April
2 Kat @ Kathryn Apel
4 Jone @ DeoWriter
5 Linda @ TeacherDance
6 Tara @ Going to Walden
8 Mary Lee @ A Year of Reading
9 Rebecca @ Rebecca Herzog
10 Janet F. @ Live Your Poem
12 Margaret @ Reflections on the Teche
13 Doraine @ Dori Reads
17 Amy @ The Poem Farm
18 Linda @ A Word Edgewise
20 Buffy @ Buffy's Blog
21 Michelle @ Michelle Kogan
22 Catherine @ Reading to the Core
25 Jan @ Bookseestudio
26 Linda @ Write Time
27 Sheila @ Sheila Renfro
29 Irene @ Live Your Poem
30 Donna @ Mainely Write

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is here.

10 comments:

Tabatha said...

Edna St Vincent Millay makes me smile with her "I know what I know" and uncarpeted stairs and "yearly, down this hill,/April/Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers." Such an unsentimental take, when usually we are all "look! spring!" I feel like I am usually April, babbling and strewing flowers. :-)

Linda Mitchell said...

I'm not sure how anyone could be ready to write about Notre Dame yet. It's a tragedy still unprocessed. I have no doubt that you will write and it will be heartfelt.

Edna St. Vincent Millay's poem is so sturdy in its way. The question....the reasons for the question and the hints at understanding the answer anyway. Such sass in a poem. Those uncarpeted stairs. They are the mystery to me. I want to rip the carpet off of stairs I find...just to see if there are any answers around for me.

Books4Learning said...

Wow! You have a had a busy poetic week! :) Thanks for sharing this spring poem.

Amy LV said...

Thank you for these words. I am thinking of Maggie Smith's "Good Bones" too. That your son would suggest you write a poem about Notre Dame reflects a beauty back. Sometimes I am the idiot, sometimes the cynic. I need the idiot days to keep me sane - both live within. Hugs. xxxx

Mary Lee said...

I love the idiot April so much, even though I, too, know what I know. (This reminds me of the conversation I had this week with the child who was reading THE ORIGIN OF THE SPECIES as she walked through the hallway. We talked about holding both science and religion in our brains).

On Thursday, I wrote about Notre-Dame. April squeezed her way into that poem. (Oy. I just realized that one of the girls looking for four leaf clovers was the ORIGIN OF SPECIES girl. Wow.)

Linda B said...

Nevertheless, I love idiot April, but respect that there are those who want to bring some reality to us, too. Hopefully, we will be "babbling and strewing flowers." soon, Ruth. Roots & shoots are late this year! Happy Easter! Thanks always for your thought-filled words.

jama said...

Hadn't read the Millay poem in awhile. Perfect for this week!

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

Yep, I'm that April idiot, babbling and strewing flowers- even though, I know what I know :)

Michelle Kogan said...

I'm familiar with Edna St. Vincent Millay's poem and always like reading it again. I loved the haiku at the end of your haibun, "Prayers in my Pocket: A haibun," what a wonderful way to find "comfort." I would love to visit Japan and see the Sakura trees when they are in bloom-I have two very close Japanese friends there. Thanks for your full poetry post Ruth!

Kay said...

Edna St Vincent Millay was the first poet I read for classes that I fell in love with on my own. Her April poem seems just right for this April where the daffodils bloom despite the tragedy and death that seem to erupt on every newscast.