Saturday, October 15, 2022

Birdtober Day Sixteen: Lapwing

There are four lapwing species on my Life List: Northern, Southern, Spur-winged, and Wattled. I was especially happy to meet the third and fourth here in Uganda, because I could tell by looking at them that they were lapwings. It was just a matter of figuring out which kind. Moments like that are proof to me that in spite of my vast ignorance of birds in general (of which I'm always conscious), I am learning. 


Photo Source: eBird.com


The Southern Lapwing (pictured) is on twenty-five of my checklists. It's one of those super-common birds in Paraguay. My brother said that his Paraguayan birding friends would always offhandedly remark, "Lapwing, for the list." (Except in Spanish.) "For the list," as in, "might as well add it, even though it's not very exciting."


But, like all those "for the list" birds, Southern Lapwings are lovely, with their striking coloring, their delicate crest, the red eye, that rusty patch on the shoulder. And they're loud; eBird calls them "raucous." 


Southern Lapwing, for the list,

Common bird not to be missed,

Raucous racket, reddish hue,

Everywhere I look, there's you.

Are you proud of that fine crest?

Do you think you are the best?

Southern Lapwing, I don't doubt it.

Don't be shy; come on and shout it!

Common bird not to be missed,

Southern Lapwing, for the list. 

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey




No comments: