Friday, October 21, 2022

Poetry Friday: Birdtober Day Twenty-One: Kakapo

 

Photo Source: eBird.com


I am posting late today; Friday is almost over where I am. We have the week off work and rather than posting about today's Critically Endangered bird, the Kakapo, for Birdtober, I have been off seeing another Critically Endangered bird, the Shoebill! Oh my, it was amazing. 


I'll add links to my other Birdtober poems through the week at the end of this post.

 

 


Kakapo,

why must we always describe you as flightless?

Why do we begin with what you don't have

instead of describing what you do?

You have that lovely green complexion,

an island home with no predators,

a peaceful nocturnal life.

Who needs flight,

Kakapo?

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey

 




This week I wrote about Pied Avocets, Southern Lapwings, Spix's Macaws, Snow Buntings, Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos, and Cerulean Warblers. And you can see links to weeks one and two of my Birdtober posts here and here.

 


 


Bridget has today's roundup here!

4 comments:

Bridget Magee said...

Thanks for the introduction to the Kakapo, Ruth. Flight is overrated when you're that beautiful shade of green. :)

Linda Mitchell said...

Love this poem ending with a question. Wonderful.

Michelle Kogan said...

Very intriguing bird and hefty body too–I like your focus on what they have. The shoebill's pretty interesting too, what a beak, and what a day it sounds like you had, thanks Ruth!

Patricia Franz said...

I'm learning so much from your posts, Ruth!