Thursday, October 27, 2022

Poetry Friday: Birdtober Day Twenty-Eight: White-browed Tit-Warbler

 

Photo Source: eBird.com


I learned that the sophiae in this bird's scientific name could come from the wife of the Russian ornithologist, Nikolai Severtzov, who first described this species. Or it could come from Tzarina Sophia Maria Alexandrovna. My guess is that Nikolai meant it for both, covering his bases. I decided to put this in today's haiku.


Named for wife or queen
Fuzzy stress-ball of a bird
Rainbow colored fluff


©Ruth Bowen Hersey


That was short enough that you have time to go read some other Birdtober poems. Here are the other poems I've posted this week: Saturday's bird was a lovebird; Sunday's was a Eurasian Jay; on Monday I wrote about birding in Haiti, including seeing the Greater Antillean Bullfinch; Tuesday's prompt on Yellow-crowned Night-Herons got me thinking about complexity, homelessness, and appreciating others; on Wednesday I published a cinquain about the Great Myna; on Thursday I wrote about the African Golden Oriole - and weaverbirds.   Links to the first week of Birdtober are here, the second week here, and the third week here.


Today's roundup is here. For some reason I can't get to the link, but thanks for hosting, Jone!

9 comments:

Linda B said...

I've read most of your posts, Ruth, though not commented. This certainly is a back-story full of intrigue! Thanks for sharing so much information. I've learned a lot, love birds, though I haven't seen as many as I imagine you have.

Tricia said...

What an interesting looking bird. I need to go back and read more of your birdtober poems. Thanks for sharing.

I hope life is treating you well in your new location.

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth... kudos on your week of bird poems! I vote for the white-browed tit-warbler, and I would have loved to have been with you that day you saw 31 species and talked about Ted Kooser. That must have been a wonderful day.

Michelle Kogan said...

Love your haiku for Sophiae, especially the middle line it's perfect. Congrats on all your Birdtober poems, I'll try to stop back for more when my load lightens, thanks Ruth, and happy Birding!

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, you're doing good. Only a few days to go and your beautiful bird collection will be complete. I love this bird today--so cute!

laurasalas said...

This is lovely, Ruth. And what an adorable bird. I loved your Day 25 poem--that final stanza, especially. We all deserve a place in the world...

Patricia Franz said...

"Stress-ball full of fur" -- my favorite, but what a joy to just gaze at this rainbow!

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, congratulations on another wonderful poem. This bird has such a beautiful exterior. I love your description.

Jone MacCulloch said...

Ruth I'm sorry you couldn't comment on my blog or even read it. I love your White Brow Tit Warbler. The little bushtits are feasting on suet at my house.