Sunday, May 02, 2010

My Faith Looks Up to Thee

This morning in church an older lady sat next to me. I offered to share the hymn book with her, but every time she shook her head and mouthed, "I know the words to this one."

I know a little bit about this woman's life and some of what she has been through. Yeah, I thought. I bet you do. And not just the words, but the reality behind them.

Here are the words to one of those songs:

My faith looks up to thee,
thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
take all my guilt away,
O let me from this day
be wholly thine!

May thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart,
my zeal inspire!
As thou hast died for me,
O may my love to thee
pure, warm, and changeless be,
a living fire!

While life's dark maze I tread,
and griefs around me spread,
be thou my guide;
bid darkness turn to day,
wipe sorrow's tears away,
nor let me ever stray
from thee aside.

When ends life's transient dream,
when death's cold, sullen stream
shall o'er me roll;
blest Savior, then in love,
fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
a ransomed soul!


Here's a link to the lyrics and music.

No comments: